This post was written as GoodEggFoodie.com. Please excuse any wonky formatting. Visit the homepage SHE-EATS.com for the latest, shiny new content.
The courgettes have stopped growing like mad now and I am down to a couple of big, watery specimens glaring at me in the kitchen.
This isn’t so much a recipe as an ingredient swap.
Big ol’ courgettes make a perfect substitute for lasagne sheets and make the dish slightly lighter for summer eating.
What you need
- Large courgette, sliced (mine is thickish so it doesn’t collapse on the griddle)
- You favourite bolognaise recipe
- Cheese sauce (I used some left over Philly, milk and cheese)
- Grated cheese
What you do
- Make bolagniase to your own recipe (unsurprisingly mine was heavy on courgette!)
- Pre-heat oven to 200c
- Heat a griddle pan, season your courgette slices, drizzle with oil and griddle on each side for approx 3-4 mins a side until soft
- Layer up as you would a normal lasagne: meat, courgette, cheese sauce, meat courgette, cheese sauce… finishing with courgette, cheese sauce and a generous layer of grated cheese
- Put in oven and bake until the cheese is bubbling on top. It won’t take as long as a normal lasagne as the courgette is cooked through already. My two individual sized ones took about 20 minutes
If you’ve a glut, check out some other courgette ideas here.